Glenbow At 50:
A pop-up exhibition of 50 extraordinary works of art
October 1 - 5, 2016
Come one, come all! Witness, for a brief moment in time: the important, the impressive, the unexpected. great works selected from a deep dive into Glenbow's vast and diverse collection of art. For 50 cents admission, for five days only, we invite Calgarians to explore a special exhibition of 50 artworks - selected from over 30,000 items - that represent the scope and scale of Glenbow's art collection.
To celebrate Glenbow's 50th anniversary, we have created an exhibition to showcase 50 fascinating artworks from Glenbow’s collection. There are so many extraordinary items in Glenbow's collection, it was a difficult task to select only 50 representative works to share with Calgarians. Glenbow's curatorial team narrowed it down to some great works of art that have artistic significance and depth in meaning, using the following criteria to build an exhibition that:
- Highlights the relevance of these 50 works of art – why is the artwork/artist important?
- includes important artists from our region, nationally and internationally
- features artworks of national significance
- features artworks unique to Calgary and our story
- matters to Calgarians– these works of art tell us something interesting and important about the artist who created it, the subject matter depicted, our history, our culture, our place
We hope that this celebratory glimpse into Glenbow's collection will offer surprising encounters and a unique opportunity for visitors to connect with artworks that represent how 50 years of art and culture have enriched our community.